Tuesday 12 July 2016

Tank on Tank: West Front


I've been adding a few new games to my 'to do' list for the summer holidays, so that I can keep the kids occupied as it chucks it down with rain. I really liked the look of Lock n' Load Publishing's Tank on Tank series, so sent off an order for the West Front version a couple of weeks ago. The game is designed for beginners and for 'beer and pretzels' style gaming, so tick all the boxes as far as I'm concerned.

The basic concept is a bit like a really, really simple version of tactical combined arms games like Tank Leader or Panzer Leader, with counters representing tanks, infantry, SPG's and AT units. The command system uses Action Point (AP's) to activate units under command of an HQ, which reminds me a bit of BKC, with options for moving and attacking once per unit per turn. Very simple. There are also a whole load of scenarios to play out and rules for devising your own.

 

The components are really nicely done, with the counters being a handy 1'' square in size and well illustrated. The two maps are double sided with one being summer terrain and the other winter terrain, although they are not geomorphic and are printed on thin card. The rulebook is slim but very clearly laid out, with the game sequence explained on only three or four pages, which will make it easy to learn. There's also a turn tracker, terrain effects chart and combat modifier cheat sheet.


I'm really looking forward to trying this game out over the next few days and will report back on how I get on with it as soon as I have some scenarios played through and a handle on the rules. If I enjoy it and it has good re-play value, I may well get the other game in the series Tank on Tank: East Front, which features a lot more counters and additional maps, some of which I should imagine can be crossed over for use with both games?

No comments:

Post a Comment